Planning on getting into apparel merchandising? Here are 7 most popular terms you should know about!
We all know that merchandisers use different types of definitions and terms in their professional life. So, if you are planning on getting into apparel merchandising, you need to understand that terminology is crucial for all apparel merchandisers and the more terms you know, the better it will be for you. This terminology is not used by the merchandisers only, it is also used in job interviews, tests, and job applications.
In this article, we are going to present you the 7 most popular terms in apparel merchandising:
- Airway Bill – This is an export document and it carries an agreement between the air carrier and the exporter. It is obtained from the airline company used to ship the products. It is considered as a receipt of products received given by the specific airline company. It usually covers transportation of cargo to and from the airport.
- Applique – This is a fabric added on the face side of the clothing. It is used for increasing the beauty of a t-shirt or dress and it is a very popular way of beautifying and decorating fabrics.
- AQL – This term refers to the quality of a certain product. In apparel and textile industry, AQL stands for Acceptance Quality Level and it is created as the maximum average defective products in a lot. AQL is expressed in a percentage number.
- Bill of Lading – This is a document that delivers the terms of the contract between the logistic company and the exporter. The logistic company is used to move freight between two stated points. The Bill of Lading shows that the importer takes possession of the products from the carrying vessel at the arranged destination.
- CM – CM means Cost of Making and it is related to the commercial parts of merchandising. Some of the costs include are cutting, trimming costs, making, the cost of making time, and etc.
- Compliance – This term means conformity of specific standards. The essential aim of compliance is to make sure that all facilities and labor rights are according to the Buyer code.
- CPM – A very common term which stands for Cost per Minute. This term can help to find out per shift, per hour, day or week cost of clothing.
So, are you ready to become a professional apparel merchandiser?
— Brave Agency (@braveagencyuk) 20 de junio de 2017